This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 5 °C Monday 21 October, 2019
Advertisement

Parents of Dubliner killed in Melbourne tell court of their heartbreak

David Greene died in hospital after being attacked at a party in the Australian city. Luke Wendholt, who has pleaded guilty to the murder, appeared in court earlier.

David Greene
David Greene
Image: Herald Sun

AN AUSTRALIAN MARTIAL arts enthusiast, who has already pleaded guilty to the killing of 30-year-old Dublin man David Greene in Melbourne last year, has appeared in court for a pre-sentence hearing.

Luke James Wentholt, had initially entered  a ‘not guilty’ plea in relation to the attack, but changed his plea in May, admitting to the murder.

David’s parents travelled to Australia for Wendholt’s appearance at the Victorian Supreme Court, ABC news is reporting.

His father, Aiden, told the court he had felt guilty because he had lent his son the money for his backpacking trip. David’s mother, Catherine, said their lives were now in turmoil, and that they had been looking forward to their son returning home:

Your children are your life – that’s what keeps you going.

My whole world had turned upside down at the thought of my beautiful David never coming home to me.

The court was told that Wentholt had written a letter of apology – however, the Green family said they didn’t want to hear it.

At an earlier hearing, the 31-year-old Australian also pleaded guilty to one count of causing serious injury to another Irish man, David Byas, during the incident.

Greene died at the Alfred Hospital two weeks after the attack, while Byas was in a coma for four days.

Wentholt’s former girlfriend Shayla Pullen said earlier this year that she had tried to stop her then-partner from his “forceful stomping” on the two Irishmen.

He will be sentenced next month.

Read: Irish backpacker dies following brutal assault in Australia

Read: Tom Meagher slams parole board as ‘cowards’ for not answering emails

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (9)