#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 17°C Thursday 29 July 2021
Advertisement

George Hook cancels retirement plans under threat of being kicked out of his home...

… by his wife.

Image: Graham Hughes/Photocall Ireland!

GEORGE HOOK HAS cancelled his retirement plans following threats from his wife, Ingrid.

The Newstalk presenter and RTÉ rugby pundit announced at the start of last year that he would be retiring from television later this year, and from radio in 2016.

However, he has now backtracked on the plans.

During The Right Hook earlier this evening, the 73-year-old presenter announced he will be hanging around a bit longer.

“I was talking to Ingrid last night and she said to me, ‘are you retiring’? And I said, yeah, you know I am,” Hook said, to which his wife responded:

Well you can get out of the house then because I’m not having you knocking around all day.

He said that at the prospect of being kicked out, he ‘has to be keep working’.

Hook reacted badly to a text from a reader earlier this month who called on him to ‘move aside and give someone young an opportunity’, responding by asking the texter if he would prefer older presenters to ‘die’, or be ‘locked up in farms’.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

“Give me a break. Piss off,” Hook’s final words on the matter were.

Hook’s Newstalk show regained 10,000 lost listeners in the lastest JNLR figures, and even gained an extra 3,000, boosting The Right Hook’s listenership to 126,000.

Read: Ray D’Arcy was losing listeners before he jumped ship… but his new slot doesn’t look too good either ?

About the author:

Nicky Ryan

Read next:

COMMENTS (64)