#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 15°C Friday 24 September 2021

Teens lead gardaí in bizarre sea chase aboard €180,000 motor cruiser

The garda helicopter was called in – as the three teenagers tried to escape gardaí aboard the 40ft motor craft.

Image: File image: Shutterstock/Beneda Miroslav

THREE TEENAGERS were detained for questioning by gardaí yesterday afternoon – after leading officers on a sea chase along the east coast aboard a stolen motor cruiser, thought to be worth around €180,000

The 40ft vessel was taken from Dun Laoghaire Harbour in south Dublin at around 5.30am yesterday morning, according to gardaí.

It was spotted around 20km to the south, off Greystones in Wicklow, at around 10.40am – prompting a bizarre chase sequence, as the stolen boat attempted to evade gardaí.

According to sources, the vessel appeared to suffer engine trouble off the coast of the Co Wicklow town, and the RNLI rescue crew from Dun Laoghaire were sent out in case of risk to life.

Soon, the engine started back up – and the craft began to make its way to the Marina at Greystones.

However, local gardaí were making their way out to the vessel on board a small craft from Greystones – and the crew of the stolen cruiser turned back out to sea as they saw them approach.

It’s unclear quite what happened next – the cruiser may have rammed the pontoon, according to one source. Another source involved in the operation said there wasn’t any close contact with the stolen craft.

grey Source: Google Maps

Either way – gardaí decided to alert their air support unit, and the helicopter made its way to the scene to monitor the developing situation.

The cruiser was eventually run ashore at a beach close to Greystones – and the three teenagers attempted to make their escape on foot.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

However, the helicopter kept track of them. A garda spokesperson confirmed two 18-year-old males and a female aged 17 were detained.

Two have since been released. An 18-year-old man remains in custody in Bray Garda Station this morning.

The cruiser was significantly damaged in the incident, a source said.

Read: Two men killed in light plane crash were both experienced pilots

Read: ‘Ireland is sending a real signal to other countries that change is possible’

About the author:

Daragh Brophy

Read next: