This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 18 °C Friday 7 August, 2020
Advertisement

Two Luas strikes planned for this week have been called off

Stoppages had been planned on Thursday and Friday of this week.

Image: RollingNews.ie

TWO LUAS STRIKES planned for this week have been called off in the wake of a recommendation from the Labour Court yesterday.

Four-hour stoppages had been planned on Thursday and Friday of this week.

The court yesterday recommended an increase of 18.3% in basic pay for the drivers over the course of the next four years until September 2020 – a jump from the previously tabled offer of 15.6%.

It was also suggested that an increase in shift length not be introduced – a key issue for the drivers in their rejection of recommendations from the Workplace Relations Commission in March.

As trade union Siptu considers the recommendations, Luas operator Transdev has said they “require detailed examination” and that a considered response will be issued before the end of the week.

Speaking on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland today, Siptu’s Owen Reidy said the proposals would be put to the committee of shop stewards today, and that it was expected a secret ballot would be carried out.

Four further strikes, planned for later in June, have not been called off as yet, Reidy said.

Read: No, smokers don’t just need sympathy – They need help to stop smoking

Read: Abandoned horse left with maggot infection after headcollar embedded on its head

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (95)