This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 8 °C Monday 6 April, 2020
Advertisement

Absence of records on McCabe file could have been a cover-up, says social worker

Lisa O’Loghlen said any cover-up may have been Tusla covering its own mistakes.

The Tribunal heard more evidence related to the case of Sergeant Maurice McCabe today.
The Tribunal heard more evidence related to the case of Sergeant Maurice McCabe today.
Image: Sam Boal/Rollingnews.ie

A TUSLA SOCIAL worker has told the Charleton tribunal that the absence of records from a file on whistleblower Sergeant Maurice McCabe looked like a cover-up, but she could not say who was responsible.

The tribunal is examining claims that allegations of sexual abuse were used as part of a campaign to smear and undermine the reputation of Sgt McCabe. The DPP decided against pressing charges in the case due to lack of evidence in the case in 2007.

Lisa O’Loghlen, a regional social work team leader, reviewed the file of Sergeant McCabe as part of an exercise in 2016 to look as unallocated files in Tusla offices for a Sexual Abuse Review Team (SART).

Tribunal barrister Pat Marrinan SC said that it appeared documents had been removed from the files O’Loghlen reviewed before she was given the file to audit.

The files related to how a serious allegation of sexual assault relating to a different case was mistakenly attributed to McCabe.

The barrister asked if it was possible somebody deliberately removed documents from the file to cover up substantial errors that had been made.

O’Loghlen said that it was possible also that the documents had never been added to the file in the first place before she received it.

Tribunal chairman Mr Justice Peter Charleton that “weird is not the word” if it was the case that the missing documents were all added to the file later, before it was handed over to the tribunal. He asked the witness if there could have been a cover-up.

“It looks that way to me,”O’Loghlen said. “I can’t say who.”

She said she did not think there was a cover-up involving An Garda Siochana, but the cover-up would be Tusla covering its own mistakes.

In a report on the case, O’Loghlen wrote that fair procedures had not been followed in investigating the allegations against Sergeant McCabe, and the sergeant had “a strong argument that procedures have been dealt with inappropriately”.

O’Loghlen said that the file of McCabe “stood out to us as one of the worst managed in the region” before she began her audit.

Paul Anthony McDermott SC on behalf of Tusla, said that insofar as the word cover-up was used, a file was given to SART, they immediately saw problems, and immediately said that McCabe hadn’t been given fair procedures.

The tribunal has adjourned and will resume later in the year to begin the next module of its inquiries.

Read: ‘It wasn’t stood over by the witness’: Tribunal hears closing arguments in Keith Harrison module

Read: Tribunal may recall senior gardaí after previously unknown contact was discovered

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Gerard Cunningham

Read next:

COMMENTS