#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 6°C Monday 29 November 2021
Advertisement

Film company fined €1.75 million over Star Wars accident which broke Harrison Ford's leg

The actor was struck by a hydraulic door on the set of the Millennium Falcon.

Image: Lucas Film

A FILM PRODUCTION company was fined €1.75 million ($1.95 million) over an accident on the set of Star Wars: The Force Awakens that broke the leg of star Harrison Ford.

The actor was struck by a hydraulic door on the set of the Millennium Falcon — his character Han Solo’s spaceship — at Pinewood Studios near London in June 2014.

Production on the film was suspended for two weeks after the accident.

Prosecutors said Ford, who was 71 at the time, could have been killed by the door, which struck him with a force comparable to the weight of a small car.

Foodles Production (UK) Ltd had acknowledged breaching health and safety law.

A judge at Aylesbury Crown Court north of London said that Foodles — which is owned by the Walt Disney Co. — should have informed Ford of the risks.

“If only they had included Mr Ford in all the discussions, he might have at least been alert to the dangers that he had to avoid,” Judge Francis Sheridan said.

The Force Awakens is the seventh installment in the space saga and has taken in more than $2 billion at the box office worldwide since its release last year.

Read: Brexit Britain feeling the pinch as Tesco runs low on Marmite

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS (15)