This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 8 °C Wednesday 20 November, 2019
Advertisement

Girl (2) in ICU after swallowing fridge magnets

The magnets stuck together and created holes in her intestines.

Image: Screengrab/ABC13

A TODDLER HAS been taken to an intensive care unit after swallowing fridge magnets.

Two-year-old Ava from Houston swallowed nine magnets during Christmas week.

She remains in ICU at Texas Children’s Hospital, but is improving and her breathing tubes have been removed..

“She’s been fighting to live,” her mother Lexi Kendall told local TV station ABC13.

Magnets find each other, even through skin. They had burrowed in her intestines, creating holes.

mumSource: KTRK

Kendall said she didn’t think Ava could reach the magnets, and issued a warning to parents:

“Don’t have any magnets. If you have magnets, get them away – on top of a bookshelf or refrigerator isn’t enough.”

A GoFundMe account to help with Ava’s medical bills has been set up.

Read: 86-year-old woman with collapsed lung spends night on chair at Beaumont

Read: British adventurer’s boat abandoned on Atlantic, rescued off Cork

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Órla Ryan

Read next:

COMMENTS (25)