This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 7 °C Monday 18 February, 2019
Advertisement

Fresh terror attack in Tunisia 'highly likely' tourists warned

The Department of Foreign Affairs is “urgently reviewing its travel advice”.

Tributes remain on the beach near the RIU Imperial Marhaba hotel in Sousse, Tunisia, following the terror attacks on the beach.
Tributes remain on the beach near the RIU Imperial Marhaba hotel in Sousse, Tunisia, following the terror attacks on the beach.
Image: PA/Steve Parsons

Updated at 8.10pm

THE BRITISH FOREIGN Office has issued a warning to tourists in Tunisia to leave the country.

An updated statement warns:

“If you’re in Tunisia and you don’t have an essential need to remain you should leave by commercial means.”

Another terror attack is now considered “highly likely” according to the British government.

“Since the attack in Sousse, we have been working closely with the Tunisian authorities to investigate the attack and the wider threat from terrorist groups in Tunisia.

“Although we have had good co-operation from the Tunisian government, including putting in place additional security measures, the intelligence and threat picture has developed considerably, reinforcing our view that a further terrorist attack is highly likely.

“On balance, we do not believe the mitigation measures in place provide adequate protection for British tourists in Tunisia at the present time and we have therefore changed our travel advice accordingly.”

Tourists are being told:

“Tour operators are arranging additional flights and will be organising departures for their customers. If you’re travelling with a tour operator, you should contact your tour operator’s representative in the first instance.

If you’re travelling independently, you should make your own arrangements to leave.

In response to a query from TheJournal.ie, a spokesperson for our own Department of Foreign Affairs said:

“The updated FCO travel advice on Tunisia has been noted. The Department is urgently reviewing its travel advice in consultation with the appropriate agencies.”

38 people, including 30 British tourists and three Irish nationals, were killed in last month’s gun attack at Sousse.

The funerals of the three Irish victims – Meath woman Lorna Carty and couple Larry and Martina Hayes - were held last week.

The Guardian reports that travel operator Thomas Cook has chartered extra flights to fly tourists in Tunisia home.

Read: “The violence is now at our door – it invades our town in two coffins”

Read: Irish Muslims plan protest to condemn ‘slaughter’ of Tunisia victims 

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (54)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel

     

    Trending Tags