Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
FINE GAEL’S CONTROVERSIAL new ‘share your views’ website – hacked last Sunday evening – has returned to full service, alongside a defiant message from party leader Enda Kenny that the party’s consultations will continue.
The site, which had remained offline since it was attacked by rogue members of the Anonymous collective on Sunday, returned to active service this evening with a second video from Enda Kenny, discussing his attitude to the site.
“We very much regret that contact data that the public supplied as part of an open and genuine conversation about the future of our country was accessed in the course of this hacking incident,” Kenny writes in his statement.
“For now we have removed the email and mobile phone sections of the Comment forms but we still want to hear your views, opinions and concerns about the issues facing our country.”
The new video – which Kenny says was recorded “at the end of last week”, and which was uploaded to Vimeo three days ago, and to YouTube two days ago while the website remained offline – features Kenny thanking previous submissions.
“It’s perfectly obvious to me… that you are very concerned about what’s not working in our country,” Kenny says in the video.
The site – which has also been given a moderate facelift during its downtime – also now includes downloadable Fine Gael campaign posters in psychedelic colouring, advertising what the party calls “Ireland 2.0″ and asking users to “join the team”.
Those images can also be downloaded in mobile, Twitter and Facebook-friendly formats.
TheJournal.ie last week reported that the site had been hosted in Miami, from where the site was breached on Sunday evening. The new incarnation of the website is hosted in the UK.
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say