This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 16 °C Friday 17 August, 2018
Advertisement

Luas strike scheduled for this weekend called off

Trade union Siptu has cancelled the 48-hour work stoppage.

Image: RollingNews.ie

A LUAS STRIKE planned for this weekend has been called off. Trade union Siptu said it had agreed to cancel the 48-hour work stoppage to facilitate talks.

The breakthrough comes after Luas operator Transdev last week served all staff with protective notice. Workers were told in a letter that future employment would be on a day-to-day basis until further notice.

The company had also warned that it would begin to “recover the costs” of industrial action – or dock striking workers’ pay – from 24 April.

Talks aimed at ending the dispute broke down last month after union members rejected a deal involving gradual pay rises over a period of just under three years. Staff had also objected to proposed productivity measures and lower pay rates for new drivers.

Transdev welcomed today’s announcement in a statement, saying it would write to Siptu to see if there was a basis for renewed negotiation with the tram driver grade.

The company said it also plans to meet the traffic supervisor, revenue protection officer and supervisor grades tomorrow to discuss proposed pay increases.

‘Window for talks’

Siptu organiser Owen Reidy said: “The Luas drivers decided today to unconditionally cancel the 48-hour stoppage scheduled for this weekend in order to create a window for talks with management aimed at finding a resolution to this dispute.

“As well as this move by the drivers, the three other grades of Luas workers … will meet with the company tomorrow in order to clarify some issues surrounding its revised offer.”

Reidy said the union had also requested an urgent meeting with Minister for Transport Paschal Donohoe to convey the concerns of its members “should this dispute continue indefinitely”.

Further work stoppages are still planned for 28 April, 4 May, 13 May, 20 May, 26 May and 27 May.

Read: Transport Minister not happy with Luas operator on plans to dock workers’ pay

Read: FactCheck: Are Luas drivers really paid more than junior doctors?

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Catherine Healy

Read next:

COMMENTS (122)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel

     

    Trending Tags