EVERY EVENING,TheJournal.ie brings you the latest news and campaign moves, squabbles and – hopefully – useful tidbits of information as we face into the 31 May Fiscal Compact referendum.
(If you just want to make up your mind by yourself, you can read TheJournal.ie’s layman’s guide to the treaty).
- Enda Kenny will make a televised address to the nation this Sunday night. The broadcast will come the day after Gerry Adams’s speech at the Sinn Féin ard fheis on Saturday evening.
- TDs and Senators will be having themselves a nice little holiday next week as the Dáil takes a five-day recess ahead of the referendum vote. Those of them that aren’t frantically campaigning one way or the other, of course.
- Fine Gael junior minister Lucinda Creighton has said that Ireland may not be able to tap the international financial markets for funding next year, in which case we would need to access the EU’s new bailout fund, RTÉ reports.
- In case you missed it: UCC expert Jane Suiter gave us the rundown on the winners – and losers – of the referendum campaign so far.
- Are you confused by all this talk of eurobonds? We were too, until we read this handy run-down of all you need to know.
VILLAGE PEOPLE HOMAGE OF THE DAY
Three TDs and a Senator from the Yes campaign are masters of the dancefloor, as this photo provided by Maman Poulet demonstrates.
CUNNING WASTE OF OPPOSITION’S PHOTOCOPYING BUDGET OF THE DAY
Enda Kenny takes a leaflet from ‘No’ activist Colm Roddy on his way into Government buildings this morning. (Photo: Photocall Ireland)
CELEBRITY EAU DE TOILETTE WATCH OF THE DAY
Damien Dempsey explains why he’s voting No. But the real question is: what brand of aftershave is that above his right shoulder?
SO MUCH FOR DEMOCRACY OF THE DAY
UNFORTUNATE CAMERA ANGLE OF THE DAY
The full sign reads “Bad Bank Debt – Demand A Better Deal” (Photo: Photocall Ireland)
Read in full: The Fiscal Compact Treaty in laymans’ terms (PDF)>