Davitt Neary playing for Mayo in February 2025. Inpho

Former Mayo footballer among four charged over serious assault in Castlebar

Davitt Neary was charged with assault causing harm and violent disorder.

LAST UPDATE | 22 May

A FORMER MAYO senior intercounty footballer was among four men to appear in court today charged in relation to an alleged serious assault which occurred in Castlebar last year.

Davitt Neary (23) of Shanvalley, Breaffy Woods, Castlebar appeared before Castlebar District Court this morning where he was charged with assault causing harm and violent disorder on Tucker Street, Castlebar in the early hours of Saturday 23 August 2025.

Detective Garda Roisin Loftus told Judge Vincent Deane that she arrested Neary before the court and charged him at 9.12am. He made no reply after each charge.

Court presenter Sergeant Fiona Farrell said that the DPP had directed trial on indictment in the circuit court.

Judge Deane acceded to her application for Neary to be remanded on bail to appear before Castlebar District Court on 1 July for service of the book of evidence.

Thomas Walsh, solicitor for Neary, asked for the issue of legal aid to be deferred to the next court sitting.

Three other individuals also appeared before Judge Deane in relation to the same incident.

Paul Dowding (24) of French Hill, Castlebar and a man who cannot be named as he was a minor at the time of the alleged attack were both charged with assault causing harm and violent disorder at Tucker Street, Castlebar.

Oran Groarke (23) of Ballynew, Turlough Road, Castlebar was charged with violent disorder. The three men all made no reply after they were charged.

Farrell said the DPP had also directed trial on indictment and the three defendants were remanded on bail to appear before Castlebar District Court on 1 July for service of the book of evidence.

Legal aid was granted for the three other defendants.

Close
JournalTv
News in 60 seconds