Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
A LOYALIST BONFIRE in Northern Ireland that was controversially topped with an effigy of refugees in a boat was set alight last night.
The Police Service of Northern Ireland said earlier yesterday that they were investigating a hate incident in reference to the pyre in Moygashel on the outskirts of Dungannon in Co Tyrone.
An Irish tricolour flag was also placed on the bonfire, which is among about 300 which will be burned across last night and tonight in the region, ahead of the Orange Order’s annual 12 July parades.
The display on top of the bonfire in Moygashel was criticised by political representatives across the spectrum in Northern Ireland.
Church of Ireland Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland John McDowell described it as “racist, threatening and offensive”.
Patrick Corrigan, Amnesty International’s Northern Ireland director, described the bonfire as a “vile, dehumanising act that fuels hatred and racism”.
The boat containing more than a dozen life-sized mannequins wearing life jackets was unveiled on top of the bonfire.
Below the boat are several placards, one saying “stop the boats” and another “veterans before refugees”.
The Moygashel bonfire has become well known in recent years for contentious displays.
Last year, a mock police car was burnt on the top of the bonfire and in 2023 a boat designed to represent the post-Brexit Irish Sea economic border was torched.
Prominent loyalist activist Jamie Bryson said it was a form of “artistic protest”.
“Every year Moygashel bonfire combines artistic protest with their cultural celebration,” he posted on X.
“Their yearly art has itself become a tradition. This year the focus is on the scandal of mass illegal immigration.”
Earlier on Thursday police said they had received a number of reports regarding the bonfire in Moygashel and the material on it.
“Police are investigating this hate incident. Police are here to help those who are or who feel vulnerable, to keep people safe,” they said.
“We do this by working with local communities, partners, elected representatives and other stakeholders to deliver local solutions to local problems, building confidence in policing and supporting a safe environment for people to live, work, visit and invest in Northern Ireland, but we can only do so within the legislative framework that exists.”
Police have said they will not assist in the removal of a contentious loyalist bonfire in Belfast which is due to be lit today.
The Northern Ireland Environment Agency said that during an inspection of the bonfire site, fragments of suspected asbestos were found at five locations.
“Approximately 20kg of suspect material was identified and was immediately removed,” they said.
Mitigating measures, including the placing of plastic sheeting over the asbestos pile, fire retardant sheers, signage and double fencing, have been put in place.
While the landowner of the site is due to arrange the removal of all of the asbestos from the site next week, Agriculture and Environment Minister Andrew Muir has urged people to “exercise caution and common sense in the coming days”.
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say