#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 15°C Tuesday 22 June 2021
Advertisement

Man wanted on charges of kidnapping his ex-partner surrenders himself to authorities

The man was arrested on a European Arrest Warrant and surrendered to Northern Irish authorities.

Image: PA Archive/PA Images

A MAN WANTED on charges of kidnapping and assaulting his ex-partner has surrendered himself to the authorities in Northern Ireland.

Jonathan Turley (35) of Clandeboye Drive in east Belfast was arrested by gardaí in May last year on foot of a European Arrest Warrant and appeared briefly at the High Court in Dublin today.

He is also wanted on a charge of dangerous driving.

Turley told his counsel Seamus Clarke BL he was aware of the allegations, which included kidnapping and assaulting his ex-partner.

Ms Justice Aileen Donnelly said she was satisfied Turley was voluntarily consenting to surrender, that he was aware of the consequences, and had obtained professional legal advice.

She further stated she was satisfied that there were no grounds for refusing to surrender him.

Previously, the court heard that Turley was also facing an allegation of assault in Cork.

Counsel for the State Vincent Heneghan SC told the court today that Turley was sentenced yesterday to eight months in prison and that the sentence was backdated to April last year, so there were “no grounds for postponement” of his extradition to Northern Ireland.

The judge made an order that Turley be extradited within 20 days.

Comments are closed as this case is before the courts.

Read: Man charged over the murder of Waterford pensioner Paddy Lyons>

About the author:

Daniel Hickey

Read next:

COMMENTS