This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 14 °C Tuesday 24 September, 2019
Advertisement

Reports that Defence Forces troops to be cut are 'speculation'

It was reported today that 500 troops are to be cut from the Defence Forces – but this has been denied.

Image: Sasko Lazarov/Photocall Ireland

REPORTS THAT MINISTER Alan Shatter will announce a reduction of 500 troops from the Defence Forces today have been described as untrue.

A spokesperson for the Department of Defence told TheJournal.ie that reports today that Minister Shatter will be announcing the cuts is “just speculation”.

The spokesperson said that Minister Shatter has asked the Secretary General and Chief of Staff at the Defence Forces to work on proposals for reorganising the forces’ brigades and reducing them from three to two.

“There will be an announcement made on it due course,” she said, adding that reorganising the brigades does not mean reducing staff numbers.

Earlier this year, almost 10,500 people applied for 600 jobs in the Defence Forces.

Read: Almost 10,500 apply for 600 Defence Forces Positions>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (104)