We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

File image. Alamy Stock Photo

Four teenagers due in court over attack on man and his rescue dog

The four teenagers charged are a 13-year-old boy, two fifteen-year-old boys, and a 16-year-old girl.

FOUR TEENAGERS HAVE been charged in connection with an alleged assault on a man and his rescue dog in the High Street area of Bangor, Co Down on Friday.

The four teenagers charged are a 13-year-old boy, two fifteen-year-old boys, and a 16-year-old girl. 

Two of the boys face charges of assault and causing unnecessary suffering to an animal. The third boy has been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray, while the girl has been charged with affray and common assault. 

All charges will be reviewed by the Public Prosecution Service.

K9 Search and Rescue NI said in a post online that one of its members, Ryan Gray, and his search and rescue dog Max “were viciously assaulted in Bangor last night whilst off duty and socialising”.

“Our member has received treatment at A&E, and the dog has been assessed by a vet,” the group said, and added that it was grateful for the support received.

The alleged incident was reported to police at around 7:50pm on Friday, and is said to have occurred following a verbal exchange between the man and around 15 to 20 young people as he walked up the street.

It is alleged the man was punched in the face multiple times by a number of youths, and his dog was also subject to kicks.

Upon arrival at the scene, police officers saw a number of young people running off, most of them dressed in dark clothing, they said previously.

A public appeal was launched to identify those involved.

The PSNI said it would like to thank all those members of the public who came forward to assist with enquiries.

“The investigation is ongoing and further arrests will be made when the other suspects are identified,” it said.

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Close
JournalTv
News in 60 seconds