This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 14 °C Wednesday 18 July, 2018
Advertisement

Quinn angry at being misled over primary care centres answer in Dáil

“The information was given was from Minister Reilly’s personal office and it clearly was wrong,” Ruairí Quinn told RTÉ radio this morning.

Image: Julien Behal/PA Archive/Press Association Images

EDUCATION MINISTER RUAIRÍ Quinn has said that he was angry that he was misled over who made the decision regarding the site for a location of a primary healthcare centre in Health Minister James Reilly’s constituency.

During Leaders’ Questions in the Dáil on Tuesday, Quinn told the chamber that the decision to locate the primary care centre on the site owned by a developer linked to Fine Gael was made during the previous health minister Mary Harney’s tenure.

It subsequently emerged that the decision was in fact made last year, during James Reilly’s tenure. This information came to light after officials at the Department of Health double-checked it just before James Reilly made a statement to the Dáil on the matter.

“I was told quite clearly that the decision on the location of the site was made by previous Minister for Health Mary Harney. That was wrong,” he told RTÉ’s Today with Pat Kenny.

“I was misled, I was angry that I was misled,” he also told the programme saying: “The information that was given was from Minister Reilly’s personal office and it clearly was wrong”.

The information was that the site in Balbriggan in north Dublin, which was owned by troubled developer and Fine Gael member Seamus Murphy, was chosen before Reilly came to power.

Quinn told the Dáil on Wednesday morning that the site was chosen “by Deputy Mary Harney when she was minister for health” to cheers from the government side of the house. But the information turned out to be incorrect.

In fact the site was identified by the Health Service Executive (HSE) last year.  ”I wish they had checked before they told me,” Quinn told Pat Kenny this morning.

On the same programme he said that he was  ”very disappointed” with the departure of junior health minister Róisín Shortall.

Read: Reilly insists he had ‘no hand, act or part’ in choice of Balbriggan site

Read: Troika forced Ireland into repaying €1bn AIB bond – Quinn

Read: Reilly: I’m not a bully, nothing inappropriate over primary care sites

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Hugh O'Connell

Read next:

COMMENTS (35)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel