This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 6 °C Tuesday 21 January, 2020
Advertisement

Video shows how quickly a fridge fire can spread when it gets set alight

The one minute video shows a plastic-backed fridge quickly being engulfed in flames.

Source: London Fire Brigade/YouTube

MAKE FRIDGES FIREPROOF was the call from the Irish Fire and Emergency Services Association (IFESA) today, as they shared a video from the London Fire Brigade showing the difference between a plastic and metal backed fridge when it catches fire.

The video – which lasts just over one minute – shows how quickly a fridge with plastic backing can get set alight, and how quickly that fire can spread.

The creators of the video urge manufacturers to make their fridge freezers fire-resistant to reduce the damage that could be caused through a fire in the home.

There is a sharp risk of white goods – including fridges – catching fire and spreading across homes according to London Fire Brigade, which said that one fire a day is started in the UK capital due to a household item such as a fridge or dryer.

The London Fire Brigade has started a campaign called Total Recalls, which aims to reduce the number of deaths attributable to kitchen appliances.

Assistant Commissioner for Fire Safety Dan Daly said: “We have written to UK fridge and freezer industry representatives calling on them to urgently review their proposals so they don’t compromise public safety.

“Currently, they still allow for a large area of the highly flammable insulation foam inside to be unprotected from flames.”

IFESA’s Ros Mac Cobb told TheJournal.ie that fire brigades in Dublin and across the country are often called to attend such scenes caused by fridges and freezers in homes, as well as dryers and other electrical goods.

“Malfunctions in electrical appliances can happen,” he said. “They can even happen in your hot press. It’s really important to heed any product recalls and make sure your product is safe to use.”

Just over a week ago, several people were rescued by Dublin Fire Brigade after a washing machine caught fire in a utility room at a house in Donaghmede.

Mac Cobb added that a good, working smoke alarm was essential in the areas where electrical goods are often left plugged in overnight, like fridges often are.

Read: Customers warned over fire-risk tumble dryers

Read: Warning over tumble dryers after London high-rise blaze

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Sean Murray

Read next:

COMMENTS (11)