This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 14 °C Tuesday 20 August, 2019
Advertisement

The government is going to buy the historic Moore Street site

Numbers 14-17 Moore Street have been designated as a site for a Commemorative Centre.

Image: Leon Farrell/Photocall

- Updated 19.15

THE GOVERNMENT IS set to acquire the National Monument site on Moore Street in Dublin.

The site of 14-17 Moore Street is the location of the final ‘council of war’ for the leaders of the 1916 Rising.

Number 16 was the location where the decision to surrender was made. The house along with the surrounding buildings was made a National Monument in 2007.

The announcement was made today by Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht Heather Humphreys who said it would cost in the region of €4 million.

She is set to bring proposals to the government shortly, outlining plans to preserve and restore the buildings.

There is already approval in place under the National Monuments Act for restoration and the opening of a proposed Commemorative Centre.

Speaking about the decision this afternoon, Minister Humphreys said:

This puts an end to the uncertainty surrounding the future of these buildings and ensures that they will be accessible to all who are interested in the history of the 1916 Rising. I hope that this project will be completed during the Centenary Year as a fitting tribute to the leaders of the Easter Rising.

Response 

In response to the purchase of the site today Fianna Fáil has said that the government must undertake a rejuvenation programme immediately. Speaking today, the party’s spokesperson for Arts and Culture, Seán Ó Fearghaíl, said:

The government has been too slow to recognise the importance of this unique part of Irish history. Restoration works should be well underway at this stage considering the 1916 centenary celebrations are just over a year away.

An Taisce, the national trust for Ireland, also welcomed the move today, although cautioning that “this is not the first time the State has acquired this building” – referring to Dublin City Council’s purchase of the premises in 2003.

There had been some controversy last year over a contentious land-swap deal that was voted down by Dublin City Council.

The deal had been a swap for a different location on Moore Street. 

First published 15.24

Read: Dublin City Council vote against Moore St ‘land swap deal’

Also: ‘A major distraction’: It looks like there’ll be no Royals at the 1916 centenary

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (37)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel