Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

A hearse carrying the coffin of Anthony Ward, 8, leaves the house in Harrison Place, Charleville, Co Cork. Julien Behal/PA Wire/Press Association Images
Tragedy

Exam due on body to discover how 8-year-old Anthony Ward died

Gardaí in Cork have said they are treating his death as a ‘tragic incident’.

A POST-MORTEM EXAM will be carried out on the body of 8-year-old Anthony Ward in Cork this morning.

The young schoolboy was found dead in his bed by Gardaí and family members after an alarm was raised by his mother Diane yesterday morning. He had been due to start back in third class at this local primary school just minutes prior to the tragic discovery.

State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster arrived at the scene Monday afternoon but the examination will begin this morning, Gardaí told TheJournal.ie.

Last night, the Health Service Executive said, “as with all serious incidents such as this”,  it was committed to undertaking a “comprehensive review of its involvement” with the Ward family. It added:

HSE South, Console (24 hour freephone helpline number 1800 201 890) and other agencies will provide appropriate support, assistance and counselling to those affected by the incident.

Images of Anthony’s father Mark Ryan have appeared across newspapers this morning as he is comforted by friends and family outside the Harrison Place home in Charleville, where he kept a vigil for hours yesterday.

Diane Ward, Anthony’s 43-year-old mother, remains in Cork University Hospital where she is still being treated.

Although Gardaí have said they are treating the death as a ‘tragic incident’, they are investigating all circumstances.

8-year-old boy found dead in Cork was due back in school today>

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
18
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.