This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 6 °C Tuesday 21 May, 2019
Advertisement

Rathfarnham garda station made safe by army bomb team after security alert

It’s believed a suspicious letter was addressed to the Minister for Justice Alan Shatter.

Rathfarnham garda station
Rathfarnham garda station
Image: Google Maps

Updated 13.00pm

THE GARDA STATION in Rathfarnham which had been evacuated earlier this morning following a security alert, has been made safe, said the Defence Forces.

The gardaí confirmed that the station had been been evacuated after 6am this morning.

RTÉ is reporting that a suspicious letter addressed to the Minister for Justice Alan Shatter is being examined.

The Defence Forces said that the army bomb squad have been deployed to the station upon a request by the gardaí. They confirmed to TheJournal.ie, that at 12.30pm, the scene was declared safe and the suspect item had been removed.

The item was found to pose no threat to the public, said the Defence Forces spokesperson, who said the item has been given to the gardaí for further investigation.

Read:  Controlled explosion carried out on homemade bomb in Clondalkin>

Watch: Irish troops return home from their six-month tour of duty in Syria>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (34)