This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 14 °C Tuesday 21 May, 2019
Advertisement

Officials say no Irish injured or missing after Boston marathon blasts [Update]

108 Irish citizens were registered to run in Boston, including 50 with Irish addresses – but all are thought to be safe and accounted for.

Boston Globe photographer David L Ryan captured the immediate aftermath of the blasts at Boylston Street in central Boston.
Boston Globe photographer David L Ryan captured the immediate aftermath of the blasts at Boylston Street in central Boston.

Updated, 07:55

THE DEPARTMENT OF Foreign Affairs says it is unaware of any Irish citizens, residents or tourists, who are missing or injured following the explosions at the Boston Marathon.

Figures from race organisers listed 108 Irish citizens among the athletes taking part – some of whom had just finished, or were approaching the finish line – in the Marathon where two explosions went off at the finish line on the crowded Boylston Street.

Those included 50 athletes who had supplied home addresses in Ireland – including 17 from Dublin, five from Galway, and three from Cork. Other athletes had supplied addresses in counties Kerry, Louth, Kilkenny, Carlow, Waterford and Cavan.

Three people are known to have died, including an 8-year-old boy, with 140 injured. Around a dozen people are thought to have lost limbs in the blasts.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Foreign Affairs told TheJournal.ie this morning that the Irish consulate in the city had been in touch with emergency centres and the Irish community.

She said there was no update to last night’s news, when a spokesman had said that all Irish participants and travellers were thought to have been accounted for.

Those included ten athletes travelling from a team at the Royal College of Surgeons, and a dozen who had travelled with the Sports Travel International tour operator.

“Of the people who are calling us, most people have been able to contact their friends and family. So, so far it’s been good news,” the spokesman said.

Irish people concerned about loved ones in the Boston region can contact the Department of Foreign Affairs special helpline on 01 478 0822. Google’s People Finder may also be of use.

A number of the Irish running community are currently exchanging messages on Boards.ie confirming when their friends are reporting back that they are safe. Check the thread here.

Another Irish participant, Gareth McQuillan, tweeted to say he was back in his hotel room when the explosions happened:

Additional reporting by Hugh O’Connell

UPDATED: At least three dead in Boston Marathon blasts

Pics: Devastation at the finish line of the Boston marathon

In full: Our coverage of the Boston Marathon explosions

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Gavan Reilly

Read next:

COMMENTS (58)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel