Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
MINISTER FOR JUSTICE Jim O’Callaghan has rejected being labelled “Trumpian” by solicitors, as the stand-off over reforms to the legal criminal aid system continues.
On Wednesday a flat-fee payment model for District Court cases under the legal aid system was implemented, meaning solicitors will now receive a single payment for District Court criminal cases regardless of the number of court appearances involved.
Around 60 solicitors staged a walkout at the Criminal Court of Justice, the country’s busiest courthouse, on Wednesday over the change.
Today, solicitors accused O’Callaghan of employing “Trumpian” tactics by “recklessly” bringing in his reforms.
“Well, I think that’s unfair,” O’Callaghan told reporters today when asked about the comparison between himself and the president of the United States.
“The department and myself started discussions with the Law Society last year.
“I’ve had meetings with the Law Society on this topic. My officials have been engaged with them as well, but obviously reform is difficult.
“But having looked at the data that was produced by my department, and having looked to see how the system of criminal legal aid in the district court operates, I was absolutely certain that there has to be reform in this area.”
He was asked what will happen if the solicitors don’t back down, but didn’t answer directly.
He said that the criminal legal aid panel of solicitors is “very competitive” and that “there’s a lot of money being earned in it”.
He also commended solicitors for the work they do.
“They do a very good job in terms of solicitors providing that assistance, legal aid assistance in the district court, but you know, I think it is important to say that we have to ensure that the system operates for the best interests of the Irish public and the people who are seeking access to justice,” he said.
“I very much commend the solicitors and barristers for the work they do, but my priority is on the Irish public and ensuring not just that they get value for money, but that there is efficiency within the district court.”
Law Society president Rosemary Loftus has said that solicitors across the country are resigning from the criminal legal aid scheme due to the changes to the payment model.
“This will have a devastating impact on access to justice,” she said.
Taoiseach Micheál Martin said on Thursday that solicitors withdrawing from the courts was not “the correct course of action”.
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say