Advertisement

Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Thursday 2 February 2023 Dublin: 8°C
AP Photo/Ron Frehm, File File photo of Feb 26, 1993, the twin towers of the World Trade Center in New York City are shown in the aftermath of an explosion earlier that day.
# NYC
NYC marks 20th anniversary of first World Trade bombing
A ceremony was held to honour the six people who died 20 years ago in the first terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.

A BELL TOLLED and a moment of silence was held earlier today to honour six people who died 20 years ago in the first terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.

The ceremony was held at the 9/11 memorial, where the twin towers were destroyed eight years later. About 50 people, including Mayor Michael Bloomberg and former Mayor David Dinkins, attended.

The moment of silence was observed at 12:18 pm, the time when a truck bomb was detonated below the north tower. The victims’ names were read by family members before bagpipers played Amazing Grace.

More than 1,000 people were injured in the 1993 blast in an underground garage below one of the towers. It was the first dramatic demonstration that “terrorism is theatre and New York is the biggest stage,” Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said last week.

Six Islamic extremists were convicted of carrying out the bombing, including mastermind Ramzi Yousef. The 2001 attack brought down the World Trade Center, where more than 2,700 people died.

At first, officials assumed the explosion on a chilly day was an accident. The initial report to police that day called it an apparent transformer explosion at the trade center.

Kelly raced to the scene, where the bomb planted in a parked Ryder van had left a crater half the size of a football field in the trade center garage, causing more than a half-billion dollars in damage.

“I remember seeing this tremendous sea of first-responder vehicles … and smoke was coming out,” said Kelly, who was on his first stint as police commissioner.

The trade center stood in the darkness that night for the first time since it opened in 1973.

It was only the next day, after a utility mishap was ruled out, that authorities “started to come to the conclusion it was bomb,” Kelly said.

Investigators then found a vehicle identification number on a piece of the blown-up van that they traced to Mohammed Salameh, who had rented the van.

Read: Minister speaks of ‘very moving’ memorial on 9/11 anniversary

Your Voice
Readers Comments
23