We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Police carry weapons at scene of shooting outside Islamic Centre of San Diego Alamy Stock Photo

Five people dead after shooting at California mosque, including two suspects

The suspects are believed to be 17 and 19 years old.

LAST UPDATE | 21 mins ago

A SHOOTING AT a mosque complex in California has killed three people, with two suspected teenage gunmen later found dead in a car from self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

Police said emergency response teams found the victims outside the sprawling Islamic Centre of San Diego, before later finding the shooters, aged 19 and 17, also dead.

TV footage from a helicopter showed armed response teams gathered outside a building, with one unidentified person lying in a pool of blood.

Dozens of patrol cars were lined up around the Islamic Centre, described on its website as the largest mosque in San Diego county, which lies in southern California.

After a short period of lockdown when authorities advised residents to stay inside, San Diego police announced that the threat at the centre had been “neutralised.”

people-embrace-near-the-scene-of-a-shooting-outside-the-islamic-center-of-san-diego-monday-may-18-2026-in-san-diego-ap-photogregory-bull People embrace near scene of shooting outside the Islamic Centre of San Diego Alamy Stock Photo Alamy Stock Photo

“We received a call of an active shooter at the Islamic centre. Within four minutes, officers arrived on scene and observed immediately three deceased victims out in front,” San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl told reporters.

“We immediately began to deploy with an active shooter response into the mosque and adjacent school,” he said, adding that police had received calls about more gunfire nearby, where landscaper at work there had been shot at but not hit.

Place of worship targeted

Outside the Islamic centre, police found a vehicle in the middle of the street with the shooters dead inside.

“The suspects at this point appear to have died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds. There were no officers involved in firing their weapons,” Wahl said.

Police said that a security guard at the Islamic centre was among the three victims killed. The identity of the other two fatalities was not immediately clear.

The imam at the mosque, Taha Hassane, said that all the staff, teachers and children at the mosque were safe.

“We have never experienced tragedy like this before. And at this moment all that I can say is, sending our prayers and standing in solidarity with all the families in our community here,” he said.

“It is extremely outrageous to target a place of worship,” the imam added.

President Donald Trump described the shooting as a “terrible situation.”

“I’ve been given some early updates but we’re going to be going back and looking at it very strongly,” he told reporters.

State Governor Gavin Newsom was briefed on the apparent attack, his press office said.

“We are grateful to the first responders on the scene working to protect the community and urge everyone to follow guidance from local authorities,” it said in a post on X.

- © AFP 2026 

Close
JournalTv
News in 60 seconds