Gardai at the search site in Donabate. Eamonn Farrell/RollingNews.ie

Tusla confirms that it had past contact with boy presumed dead in Donabate

The boy, who would now be seven, is last known to have resided at The Gallery Apartments, Donabate, Co Dublin.

LAST UPDATE | 2 Sep 2025

TUSLA HAS CONFIRMED that it had previous dealings with a boy in Donabate who went missing a number of years ago and is presumed dead by gardaí. 

Gardaí in Swords are continuing to investigate all of the circumstances of the disappearance and current whereabouts of the boy, who would now be seven-years-old.

Concerns for the boy were raised by Tusla and reported to gardaí last Friday 29 August.

The boy is last known to have resided at The Gallery Apartments, Donabate, Co Dublin. It has been a number of years since there has been any confirmed sighting of him.

In a statement this evening, Tusla said it had engaged with the boy a number of years ago “at the request of the family”, and said their services ceased in 2020.

“Since 2020, no new referral or new information of concern was received about this child until August 2025. On foot of this we contacted an An Garda Siochana with our concerns for the safety and wellbeing of the child,” a Tusla spokesperson said.

“As is normal process, where there is a serious incident or death involving a child open to, or previously known to our service, we conduct a review of our engagement and that review is sent to the National Review Panel.

“While this is being completed, the priority must be on allowing An Garda Siochana to complete their investigations, without doing anything to interfere with that, and with that in mind we will not be providing further detail on our involvement with the child and their family at this time,” the spokesperson said.

Speaking at a press conference earlier today, Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly said that investigating gardaí took control of an open area of ground in Donabate yesterday evening, which will be subject to a search in the coming days. 

“Following inquiries carried out by and information available to investigating gardaí to date, An Garda Síochána has been unable to either locate the boy or identify any information on his current whereabouts or evidence that he is currently alive,” Kelly said.

“Tragically, investigating gardaí believe that the boy is deceased.”

Kelly said a “very experienced” senior investigating officer has been appointed to lead the investigation, who is based out of an incident room established at Swords Garda Station.

“All necessary expertise and resources are being provided to the investigation,” he added. 

“We are appealing to anyone who has any information in connection with the investigation to contact Swords Garda Station on 01 666 4700, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111, or any Garda station.”

757Garda Search Donabate_90733122 The search site in Donabate. Eamonn Farrell / RollingNews.ie Eamonn Farrell / RollingNews.ie / RollingNews.ie

No arrests have been made and the investigation is ongoing.

In a statement yesterday afternoon, a spokesperson for Tusla said the referral was “in relation to our concerns about the safety and wellbeing of this child”.

“We continue to work closely with the Gardai, and in line with normal practice, all relevant information relating to this family has been shared.

“Our thoughts are with the child’s family, friends, and community at this difficult time,” they added.

Minister for Children Norma Foley said in a statement that she has been briefed on the investigation by her officials and that she has asked Tusla to keep her updated on developments in the case.

“I am deeply concerned about this missing child. Uppermost in my thoughts is the welfare of this child,” she said.

She also appealed to anyone with information about the child to co-operate with gardaí.

With reporting from Andrew Walsh and Jane Moore

Close
JournalTv
News in 60 seconds