This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 4 °C Sunday 15 December, 2019
Advertisement

Search resumes for missing walker in Mayo

The 38-year-old has been missing on Mweelrea mountain since yesterday.

Mweelrea over Killary Harbour.
Mweelrea over Killary Harbour.

THE SEARCH HAS resumed this morning for a 38-year-old man who has gone missing on a mountain in Co. Mayo.

The man was reported missing at about 4pm yesterday while he was out walking on Mweelrea mountain, the highest point in Connacht.

The search was resumed this morning at about 7am by the Mayo Mountain rescue team with the coastguard helicopter also deployed to search in the more inaccessible areas.

The team are expected to be backed up by more rescuers from Galway as the day progresses.

The rescue team said that they have a rough idea of the route the man was planning to take.

Overnight weather in the area was said to be fair with today’s weather described as clear and good for searching.

The man is believed to have a mobile phone but it so far hasn’t been contactable with poor reception in the area.

Read: Search for missing walker suspended for the night >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Rónán Duffy

Read next:

COMMENTS (16)